As many of you know, we commissioned consultant ecologist Roger Goodwillie (pictured below) to carry out a biodiversity study of local green areas. Roger’s study included Longford Gardens (the wild part of the DART park; the banks of Stradbrook Stream; Monkstown Castle, Carrickbrennan Lawn; Carrickbrennan Cemetery; CBC Monkstown; Vesey Park; and De Vesci Gardens. This is the full report, with recommended actions, Monkstown Village Biodiversity Report Nov 2019
Sources of information about pollinators:
“Gardening for Biodiversity”, a lovely 40-page easy-to-follow booklet from the Department of Heritage via Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Council is available to download
There is also a super webinar to go with it, courtesy of Limerick Co. Council.
More useful videos based on the book produced by Laois Co. Council can be found here.
The All-Ireland Pollinator Plan has a huge range of resources. Of particular use for domestic gardens, take a look at their guidelines for gardens and seasonal plant lists
TidyVillageEbulletin_Issue1 18 June 2020
E-bulletin 26 June
e-bulletin 3 July
Our message is to #StaySafe – you are urged to use your own judgement and take personal responsibility for protecting yourself, your friends and your family.
- Wednesday Weeds – 7.30 pm to 8.30pm bring your own gloves we’ll bring equipment – volunteers welcome
- Saturday Tidy, 10.30 to 11.30 – weekly meeting starting from St Patrick’s Parish Centre, Alma Place. Please bring your own gloves, thank you.
- Plastic Free Talk* 13th August Award winning, conservationist and environmentalist, Susan Adam, is giving a talk on everything plastic. *PLEASE NOTE THIS TALK HAS BEEN POSTPONED.
- Biodiversity At the Stream – 3pm 16th August – A walk and talk by the stream for grown ups led by Aoife Munn – We will discuss water quality, biodiversity in the area and what we can do to improve our waterways. Meet at roundabout in front of the church Book via email@example.com as numbers are limited
- Evening beach clean in association with Clean Coasts Wednesday 19th August 7pm to 8.30pm – meet at Salthill & Monkstown DART carpark – please bring your own gloves and wear suitable footwear.
Please join up, get in touch and get involved. Let’s have a great summer and continue to make our lovely seaside village an even better place to live, work or visit. We have the following events in planning – watch this space!
- Bird Walk with Nic Channon – September 2020
- Shops of Monkstown – Guided Walk with Carole Cullen – September 2020
- Tree Walk with Katy Duff – Autumn 2020